Please note that this is not the main blog. Please click HERE to go to the homepage.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer Mini-Readathon 2011

*Please note that we will use this post for all readathon updates*

To go to the main blog, click here.
To go to the readathon post, click here.

Hosted by Sarah Says


*************************
Mini-Challenge 1
1. Tell everyone three random things about yourself:
Misha
- I love purple and black!
- I have a phobia of flying
- I am addicted to period dramas.

Maxine
- I collect coins.
- I am terified of dogs
- I love winters.

2. Is this your first readathon?
Misha & Maxine - Yes.

3. Do you have any specific goals for today? (# of books or pages to read?)
Misha & Maxine - Approx 3 books each.

4. Do you have any specific snacks, drinks, or books planned?


Misha's picks:
The SomnambulistEromenosThe Girl in the Green Raincoat
The Somnambulist - Essie Fox
Eromenos - Melanie McDonald
The Girl in the Green Raincoat - Laura Lippman

Maxine's picks:
Radiance (Riley Bloom, #1)The Karma ClubYoung Sherlock Holmes: Red Leech
Radiance - Alyson Noel
The Karma Club - Jessica Brody
Red Leech - Andrew Lane


5. What hours do you plan on reading during?
We are hoping for 10 a.m to 10 p.m. Let's see whether that actually happens.

*************************
Mini-Challenge 3


Here's the challenge:
Pick one of the books that you're reading during the readathon. Post a pic of the cover. Then go find a cover of another edition that you love: paperback vs. hard, second editions, international, fan-made...whatever strikes your fancy. Or pick one that you don't get/like or both! Post both pics in your blog stating what you like or don't like about the covers, then link up your post. It's that simple.

Misha:

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

Though I had not planned to read The Great Gatsby for this challenge, I couldn't resist it. I am reading the version on the top. I have always found the one on the bottom very creepy. On the other hand, the top one relates more to the story.


Maxine:
The Karma Club
The Karma Club
The bottom one is the version I am reading. I think I like both equally. Both are bright and fun to look at, just the way I like covers to be.


************************
Mini-Challenge 4
 Take a picture (using your camera, webcam, phone... whatever) of where you're reading today for the readathon, or your favorite places to read. Put the pictures in a post, link the post up in the Mr. Linky below, and wa-la! You've completed yet another entry for the gift card prizes at the end :-)


Sorry for the unclear pictures! The camera is with our dad. We had to use our cell-phone cameras.
Misha's bed
The couch - Maxine's favorite place to read.
*************************
Mini-Challenge 5


1. How many books and/or pages were you able to read?Misha and Maxine: Both of us read around two and a half books.


2. About how many hours were you able to read for? (Were there many distractions, breaks, etc?)Around 10 hours. Maxine has a test tomorrow and I (Misha) have a college project to work on, so we couldn't do it continuously.


3. Do you have any likes/dislikes about the 12-hour readathon, compared to a 24-hour readathon?
This is the first readathon we have participated in, so we can't really compare. But we did enjoy it.


4. Favorite and least favorite books that you read today?Misha:Favorite: The Somnambulist
Least Favorite: The Girl in the Green Raincoat


Maxine:

Favorite: The Karma Club
Least Favorite: Red Leech



5. Do you have any suggestions for things you'd like me to do differently if I host another mini-readathon?
We would not want anything to be different. This was perfect and enjoyable.



8 comments:

Julie said... [Reply]

This is your first readathon? Woot! Alright!

Misha: I would never have guessed at a love for purple and black .. really :) Even if you don't do a review, drop me a quick line to let me know what you thought of Somnabulist; I have it on my "I don't know if I should buy it" list.

Maxine: I, to, am scared of dogs. Not so much that I won't pet a friend's dog or anything, but definitely enough to cross the street or even go back into the house if I see one loose.

LOVE the books both of you picked out! Have fun!

Whitney said... [Reply]

I love winter and period pieces. In fact, they go very well together. Happy reading today!

Anonymous said... [Reply]

My first readathon too! 3 books each - cool! I don't think I can quite accomplish that. I'll try to focus on reading something different hour instead.

Jo K said... [Reply]

My first readathon and I love winters, too.

Reading Rambo said... [Reply]

Glad you had fun! I thought it was great. And there's a certain nice feeling of solidarity when it's not just a day you yourself set aside for reading, but instead something a bunch of people are doing together.

Julie said... [Reply]

(My daughter stole .. umm ... borrowed ... my camera), and I don't have a camera on my cell phone (I'm tired of spending a lot of money on phones that I drop, break, get wet, and lose, but I've been able to hold on to this cheap phone for 2 years now), so I didn't get to take a picture of my comfy reading couch!
I agree with you both about your covers (that second Gatsby cover IS kinda creepy), and you both did great with your books! The Somnabulist looks like it should definitely go on my shelves!

Jenn said... [Reply]

I love the Great Gatsby and I'm so glad that you used that for my challenge. I've never seen your cover, only really old hardbacks with no design and the second cover you posted. I like yours the most.

Jeff Faria said... [Reply]

I'm an author and I would like to peruse your invite-only blog. Should you care to invite me over for a visit, I promise not to put my feet on the furniture or otherwise wear out my welcome. If you're open to it, send an invite to jefffaria@rocketmail.com. Thanks for your time!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the In the Night Room kit by StarLight Designs